Protect Your Home Against Termites
Termite Prevention Tips
January will be here and gone before we know it and the cold winter months will come to an end. Spring will be getting ready to well.. spring. Bare trees begin to bud tiny leaves, our favorite flowers begin to bloom, it’s no secret spring is one of the most beautiful times of the year. Although spring brings a variety of beauty, these beautiful flowers bring bugs and pests. As the weather warms, bugs swarm. With that being said here at Pest Away we want to help our customers prepare for the termite season.
Protecting Your Home Against Termites
Termites can be one of the most expensive infestations when it comes to pests. These hungry pests can eat away thousands of dollars in damages not only to items within your home but to the structure itself. If gone unnoticed, some damage caused by termites may even become irreparable. Termite’s most active season is during the spring and is commonly referred to as “swarming season”. As temperatures begin to rise and moisture levels are at an all-time high it’s the perfect environment for termites to colonize. The best way to avoid termite damage to your home is to become proactive before a problem has the opportunity to arise. Follow these steps to protect your home this swarming season.
- Be sure that you keep all shrubs and flowers properly maintained and planted at least 12” away from the exterior of your home. This allows proper airflow and will help avoid any pooling from occurring.
- When it comes to filling your garden beds, consider going with pine needles or crushed stone such as pea gravel as opposed to mulch. Not only are pine needles significantly less appetizing to termites they also avoid having piles of moist wood surrounding your house when it rains. Otherwise known as an all-you-can-eat buffet for termites.
- Avoid making the foundation of your home unnecessarily wet by ensuring all sprinkler heads are pointed away from the exterior of your home.
- With warmer weather comes summer bonfires. Be very mindful of where you choose to store your excess firewood. It’s good practice to keep all wood stored at least 20ft from the exterior of your home to avoid tempting any hungry pests.
- Be sure to regularly check your gutters for any potential debris that may have built up and created a clog.
Get the Best Termite Prevention
The best remedy for a termite swarm is prevention. Hiring a professional to inspect your home annually is the best way to ensure your home is properly protected from any unwanted pests. We can provide you with a termite inspection and also guide you as to steps you can take to keep your home termite-free. Although you may be as proactive as possible, termite infestations still happen to the best of us. If you have noticed signs of potential termite infestation around your home or property, fear not. Our team of professionals here at Pest Away Exterminators are here to help. Give us a call for your quote today!Tags: pests, pine needles